IOS Impulse Oscillometry
Tidal breathing analysis with Impulse Oscillometry (IOS) has demonstrated to be informative and differentiated in the early detection and follow up of pulmonary diseases like asthma, COPD and idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. IOS is almost independent of patient cooperation and can test a larger patient range than spirometry alone, from children to adult to geriatric patients.
IOS is available as a stand-alone device combined with a spirometry measurement program (MasterScreen IOS and Vyntus IOS) or as an add-on module to the MasterScreen series.
Features & Benefits
- Assessment and differentiation of airway function under quiet breathing conditions.
- Sensitive and early detection of pulmonary obstruction. Asthma patients may be asymptomatic with normal spirometry and still show levels of increased airway resistance. IOS measures impedance at different frequencies indicative of central and peripheral airway resistance.
- Allows differentiation of central (proximal) airways resistance and peripheral (distal) airways resistance.
- Bronchodilator therapy often does not reach the peripheral airways. IOS can provide objective response to drug therapy even when FEV1 can't.
- Monitor the effect of bronchial provocation on airway tone.
- Determination of expiratory flow limitation (EFL). Abstract: Forced oscillation using impulse oscillometry provides objective responses to corticosteroids in asthmatic patients when FEV1 fails to improve. Conclusions: As forced oscillation technique is automatic and can measure multiple breaths over long periods, it is suitable for monitoring expiratory flow limitation continuously and identifying patients’ breathing close to the onset of expiratory flow limitation, where intermittent sampling may be unrepresentative (Dellacá RL, Duffy N, Pompilio PP, Aliverti A, Koulouris NG, Pedotti A, Calverley PM. E Resp J. 2007 Feb;29(2):363-74. Dipartimento di Bioingegneria, Politecnico di Milano University, Milan, Italy).
- Automatic classification and interpretation of results with SentrySuite software.
Please note, all products, services, or features of products and services may not be available in your local area. Please check with your local Vyaire representative. The information provided in this site is intended for healthcare professionals.
The Latest News From Vyaire
On June 17, 2020, the Swiss Supreme Court denied an appeal brought by imtmedical ag regarding a long-standing Swiss patent dispute concerning certain flow sensor types.Read More